One of my favorite pastimes is cooking, and I love it even more when I can share this experience with my boys. I think it is really important for our little men to learn how to cook (and I think their future partners will thank me for it) even if they never, ever, find that elusive laundry basket where dirty clothes shall temporarily go into, at least I can arm then with this one tool of life.
So, the other day, as we were having guests over for lunch, Lochlan helped me make some delicious chicken and coconut parcels to serve our visitors.
From digging up the galangal and choosing nice thick pandan leaves in our garden, he loved the whole process of sourcing these ingredients.
Now, we aren’t Master Chefs…far from it…but I do like seeing the smile on his face when we serve our culinary masterpiece to our guests. Makes the pleasure of creating something delectable more enjoyable.
Why don’t you try it for yourself?
Chicken & Coconut wrapped in Pandan leaf parcels
What you will need……
300 -400 grams chicken breast or thigh – minced or thinly sliced
150 grams young fresh coconut grated or if not available, desiccated coconut
150ml coconut cream – fresh or canned
5 small red shallots (french shallots) or 1/2 white onion
4 cloves of garlic
2cm galangal (fresh or frozen – find in Asian stores)
2cm kencur (or lesser galangal) – this can be omitted as not always available outside of Indonesia
60 grams candlenut or kemiri (this definitely is an Asian store find but blanched almonds can also be used)
2 -4 fresh green chillies – deseeded (use only if desired)
15 -20 pandan leaves
15 – 20 wooden toothpicks
Salt and Pepper to taste
What you need to do…….
- Place coconut, shallots, galangal, garlic, kencur, kemiri and chillies in a food processor, and process until a coarse paste.
- Mix this with the chicken mince, and some salt and pepper to taste. Scoop a tablespoon of mixture and make into a round ball, then place at end of pandan and wrap the pandan around the mixture until it is in the shape of a nice little parcel.
- Fasten with a toothpick so that the leaf does not come undone. Please parcels in a steamer.
- Steam in a large steamer, or steam oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve as an entrée or main meal with hot steaming rice. Use salty soy sauce or sweet chilli sauce as a dipping accompaniment.